Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 26: HandsOn Leadership


I attended a leadership seminar tonight with Seattle Works called HandsOn Leadership.  My intent was to see how it was put together and look for opportunities where I could participate and get my name out there.  The conference was from 6-9 PM and it really was quite good.  They had a local consulting firm teach a section on project management and then the coordinator taught a section on conflict resolution.  It was fun and I had the opportunity to participate with a team.

The participants are really sharp and were very engaged in the seminar.  I am always listening for tidbits of information and good stories.  One particular individual told a story about leadership from his army days.  They classified leaders into different categories based on their style.  One particular style, the Outlook Leader, was not as effective as the others.  The Outlook Leader is one that manages all communication via email and never gets up to interact with their team.  Face time is kept to a minimum.  The insight from this style is that there really lacked a team cohesion and connection with the leader.

My thoughts in leaving the seminar is that a section on communication, team dynamics, or building productive teams would be ideal.  I also think that my project management experience would lend nicely to being a mentor for the teams as they undertake their initiative.  I am hopeful to be included in the program and instruct future seminars.  

I can definitely see how just putting myself out there is going to be the key to building connections within the community and getting my name out there.  I am spending an immense amount of energy just not sure if I am spending it smartly.

No comments:

Post a Comment