Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 19: Volunteering

I have had a goal for quite sometime to get involved in the community.  I want to share my talents with others and enrich their lives.  I am currently delivering food to home bound individuals and participating in a campaign for same-sex marriage in Washington.  I am passionate about leadership and want to mentor other emerging leaders and assist them in recognizing their potential.

This last volunteer opportunity will have a dual benefit of helping others and beginning to build my network.  I need to start socializing with successful people in the business industry and increase my confidence associating with executives.

I had an interview today with SeattleWorks a non-profit that hosts a leadership summit and and post training mentoring.  It sounds like an excellent opportunity and one that I would be very interested in.  I just put myself out there and doors are opening.  I am hopeful that I will be invited to be on the faculty myself one day soon.

I read a great article today regarding confidence and it outlined a plan for building confidence and making it a habit.  The first was eye opening to me as it highlighted the need to let go of the past and get closure on anything that is open.  My coaching workshops also talk about this as well in the form of "being complete".  I thought about some of the things that I have left open and really need to work on getting to closure so that I can focus on the present.  In addition to this concept they outlined 6 confidence building strategies:

  1. Every day remind yourself that you did some things well.
  2. Read inspiring biographies and autobiographies
  3. Be thankful
  4. Build excellent support around you
  5. Push yourself to accomplish short-term goals
  6. Do something for yourself every week
All excellent reminders of practices that can turn into positive actions.  "Everything you want is on the other side of fear".  I will do well to remember this sage advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment