Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 14: Getting the Word Out

It has been almost three weeks since I began this venture.  In that time I have created a website, published a newsletter, written a marketing plan, and leveraged social media to begin establishing a name for myself; build some credibility.  Now it is time to actually get out and start meeting people.

I have done much preparation and feel it is time for me to get out there and start talking to people about what I do.  Start sharing the content I have created.  To be honest I am really stuck on this one.  I guess I was under the popular misconception that if I created all this content clients would start showing up on my doorstep asking for my business; I was definitely wrong on this point.

So what do I do when I am at a loss for the next step, I brainstorm.  I spent some time this morning thinking of opportunities to get out and start meeting people.  Here is what I came up with:

  1. Look for pro-bono speaking engagements.
  2. Call potential customers and offer a free coaching session
  3. Tell everyone I meet about my business and spread the word
  4. Get a magnet sign for the car
  5. Post business cards
  6. Join a club
  7. Look for a board position with a non-profit
I need to balance flooding the market with my message and targeting my message to the right people.  Action is the name of the game.  I can tell that my internal anxiety is kicking in here and causing me to focus on the tasks and activities that don't require interaction.  I need to change my inner belief that customers will just come to me if I am good enough.

I am learning that business is 80% psychology and 20% action.  You have to get over your fears very quickly and focus on the important actions to get the results you want.  I am going to add these items to my list and start working on them this week.  

I am committed to getting 3 clients this quarter and 15 clients this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment