Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 10: Talking with Successful People


I set a goal this year to find successful people and schedule time to interview them in an attempt to learn what makes them successful.  What habits and habits have they implemented that have helped them be successful.  What are they reading both for business and pleasure.  What clubs do they belong to.  So today I took my first step toward reaching this goal and spoke with a successful marketer that I worked with on a past project.

It was very insightful talking with her.  I just listened and took it all in, absorbing the knowledge she had to share.  So here are the main points I took away from our discussion:
  • Find something that differentiates you from the competition that is not easily replicated.  One of the best ways to identify this is to do some research and find what makes the current process difficult, for example pricing model, contracting process, or delivery.  Sometimes just addressing these can be a differentiator.
  • Don't be afraid to be irreverent.  Guard your time, it is limited and you need to focus on those things that only you can do.  Do not attend meetings without agendas and even then really think if you need to be there.  Hire competent people and let them take ownership for their area of responsibility.
  • Cut out bureaucracy where possible.  Simplify workflow so you aren't approving yesterday's ideas that are already out of date.
  • Work is not going to come to you.  You have to get out there and network, speak at engagements, do anything to establish credibility and differentiate yourself.
  • Reading is so important to continually build knowledge.  She recommended the Malcolm Gladwell books.
This was such a rewarding experience and one I haven't tapped into so far in my career.  I can't wait to find my next individual I want to meet and learn some more about being successful.  There is a wealth of knowledge and experience out their in your network.  Go out and take advantage of it, people are always willing to share what they have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment