Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 17: Connections

I found the benefit of speaking up about my business today.  It is interesting how serendipity can play a role in opening up new doors.  Planning is good and helps us remain focused but I am learning to be open to new ideas and opportunities.

I was telling someone about my foray into podcasting and talking about how much fun I was having and at the same time struggling with putting a professional finish to it.  Come to find out the individual I was talking to is a radio program director.  He offered to help me with my intro/outro as well as provide some coaching on how to improve the sound of the content.  This will be a lifesaver since I cannot afford to hire professional talent to work on this.  I am learning as a small business owner I have to wear many of the hats and do what I can myself rather than relying on experts.  I am learning a ton, but it also takes me additional time to get things done since I am basically learning as I go.

We also started talking about leadership and he told me about his new boss and the technique he used when coming on board.  He came into his role due to the passing of the other manager.  The other manager was well respected and liked by the staff.  The new manager didn't come in guns blazing with a new plan to turn things upside down.  Instead he took a more deliberate and patient approach and simply listened.  He got to know the team and built an environment of collaboration and trust.    I was able to turn this into an opportunity to ask for an interview.

We are going to connect this week and solidify timing to work on these tasks.  Once again the network trumps all in terms of putting myself out there and sharing my passion with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment