Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 31: First Coaching Session

Today was my first meeting with my marketing coach.  We originally agreed to meet at mosaics, a local community coffee shop.  Given my excitement for this first meeting I arrived early and found that the coffee shop was closed.  Luckily I was able to catch Barbara before she left and we quickly changed our strategy to meet at another coffee shop close by.

I looked at this session from two perspectives: coach and coachee.  I am trying to observe coaching in action.  I noticed right away she did some clearing, apologizing for being a little late and not checking to see that mosaics was open.  She was very organized and presented me with some take aways to build my knowledge.  She challenged me a couple of times and left me with some homework to do in between our sessions.  She also acknowledged who I was becoming and championed some of efforts and willing to fail.

I shared with her what I was currently doing and what had not worked for me.  I talked about my networking with the University of Washington, my blog, my newsletter.  It was easy for me to share my goals and aspirations.  It immediately felt comfortable right out of the gate.

She challenged me to the following actions:

  • Research networking groups and select 3-5
  • Send Newsletter sample to Barbara
  • Connect on LinkedIn
  • Review Study guides

It was a packed first session and I am already looking forward to my next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment